Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hearts on Fire

OFFAL INSTALLMENT #3

Based on the title of this post you can probably already guessed what I cooked up this time... yeah, heart. I really like it when the regional grocery stores have a whole section of offal right out in the open, no shame in selling organ meat. Liver, kidney, tripe, heart, hooves, and more. I was like a kid in a candy shop (a disturbing picture). I swear I make normal food too, this is just more fun to write about.

 This is kind of like the pork tongue I made a few weeks ago in that it is really just another muscle, only one that not many people in the US think to eat. It was extremely tough because of the large amounts of  collagen present in the tissue, so I threw it right into my crock pot. Maybe someday I'll invest in one of the sous vide water ovens and take my slow cooking to a whole other level.

Back to the recipe. I wanted something with some heat so I picked up some chiles in adobo from the ethnic foods isle while I was at the market with my friend Jimmy, another Paleo bro. He actually picked up a side of pork, which is essentially a bacon steak (eating something like that somewhat terrifies me). I had a ton of leftover cabbage so I did a quick chop on that and threw it into the crock as well.


Why eat heart? It is great for you not to mention dirt cheap. Got over half a pound for about a $1.50! Want to survive college? Learn to enjoy the strange cuts. Heart is full of protein, thiamine, selenium, folate, phosphorous, zinc, CoQ10, and B vitamins.



Ingredients

  • Beef Heart
  • Can of fire roasted tomatoes 
  • Chiles in Adobo (add more for more heat) 
  • 1/2 Cabbage 
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion
  • 2tbsp Chile Powder 
  • tsp each Salt and Pepper
  • Tbsp Cumin
  • Tbsp Paprika
  • 2tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar 
Directions
  1. Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces and place in the bottom of the crock
  2. Stir in tomatoes and spices. 
  3. Place heart on top and press down so that its half submerged in liquid
  4. Cook for 6-8 hours low and slow
I swear I'll do some normal recipes again soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment